- Title : Charulata (India-Movie) (1964)
- Alternative Title(s) : The Lonely Wife
- Hardsubbed or Softsubbed: Softsubbed
- English Subtitles: Yes
- Date Aired (YYYY-MM-DD): 17 April 1964
- More Info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057935/
GD Star RatingCharulata (India-Movie) (1964),
- Charulata is based on a story by Rabindranath Tagore, Nastanirh (The Broken Nest) and set in Calcutta in the late nineteenth century. Bengal Renaissance is at its peak and India is under the British rule. The film revolves around Charulata / Charu (Madhabi Mukherjee), the childless, intelligent and beautiful wife of Bhupati (Sailen Mukherjee). He edits and publishes a political newspaper. Bhupati is an upper class Bengali intellectual with a keen interest in politics and the freedom movement.
- Charu is interested in the arts, literature and poetry. Though Bhupati loves his wife, he has no time for her. She has little to do in the house run by a fleet of servants. Sensing her boredom, Bhupati invites Charu’s elder brother Umapada and wife Manda to live with them. Umapada helps in running of the magazine and the printing press. Manda with her silly and crude ways is no company for the sensitive and intelligent Charulata.
- Amal (Soumitra Chatterjee), Bhupati’s younger cousin comes on a visit. Bhupati asks him to encourage Charu’s cultural interests. Amal is young, handsome and is of the same age group as Charu. He has literary ambitions and shares her interests in poetry. He provides her with much needed intellectual companionship and attention. An intimate relationship develops between Charulata and Amal. There is a hint of rivalry when she publishes a short story on her own without his knowledge. He realizes that Charulata is in love with him but is reluctant to reciprocate due to the guilt involved.
- Download Links:
Award & nomination:
Berlin International Film Festival 1965 – OCIC Award
Berlin International Film Festival 1965 – Silver Berlin Bear for Best Director
Berlin International Film Festival 1965 – Nominated for Golden Berlin Bear
Movie size: 428 MB
Duration: 1 hour 59 minutes
Resolution: 608 x 448
Color: Black and white
Subtitles: English, Spanish
As always, change subtitles name to match movie name, or
if you’re using MPC Player: click Play at upper tabs, click Subtitles, make sure Enable chosen, click the language you like.
As always too, HJSplit to join the files.
~GD Star RatingCharulata (India-Movie) (1964),
Posted in: -Drama, -Family, -Friendship, -Romance, Based on a Novel, C, Editors-Pick, Other Asian Drama Movies– December 15, 2014