- Title : Akihabara Geeks (Documentary) (2005)
- Hardsubbed or Softsubbed: Hardsubbed
- English Subtitles: Yes
- Date Aired (YYYY-MM-DD): 2005
Akihabara Geeks is a short but studious peek into the Tokyo neighborhood nicknamed “Electric Town.” Produced for Japan’s leading network, NHK, it follows several individuals on one day in 2002 as they pursue their personal obsessions.
Akihabara is a section of Tokyo that was developed after WWII, and its focus has always been on electronic items, including parts for people building their own devices. Over the years, it has become a haven for various “geeks” and “fanatics.” The film doesn’t make it entirely clear what the difference between the two is. My take on it was that the geeks tend to build stuff and the fanatics merely collect, but it may also have to do with levels of compulsion. One subject objected to being called a fanatic. He much preferred to be a geek.
A normal day in Akihabara begins with the stores opening, goes through the normal business day, and closes on the social interaction of its regular denizens, be it an in-person meeting or an online hook-up. There are five particular members of this subculture that we follow:
* Motohara, a young man who collects products and images of cute anime girls
* Shimayama, the owner of an electronic parts store that his family has run in Akihabara for over 50 years
* Katsumi, an “overclocker,” which is a name referring to guys who build their own computers to try to create the fastest processor they can; Katsumi holds the world record for a machine that can calculate pi in the shortest amount of time
* Miss Ichika, a law student who earns a living as a waitress in a maid café, a specialized restaurant where the servers dress in maid-themed costumes
* Dragon Knight 07, an independent video game designer whose title Cicada Season is one of the most popular interactive online role-playing games in Akihabara.
These five spend their entire day in Electric Town, but their paths never really cross. Outside of Shimayama and Miss Ichika, whose jobs have a social element to them, most of them are fairly solitary creatures. If they talk to anyone, it’s guys who share the same interest as they do. One of the biggest surprises in the movie is discovering that Katsumi is married, as there seems to be little that can distract him from his machines. Most of the subjects have gravitated to their hobbies to fill some kind of hole in their lives. The saddest is Motohara, who admits to being embarrassed by his endless need for more cute cartoon girls. When he’s asked if he’s ever had a girlfriend, he gets frustrated and demands the line of questioning change. On the other side is Dragon Knight, whose father banned video games from their house; now he employs his dad as a researcher to help him get certain elements of his increasingly popular title correct.
From Dvdtalk.comGD Star RatingAkihabara Geeks (Documentary) (2005),
No Comments• POST COMMENTS IN ENGLISH ONLY
• WHEN A DOWNLOAD LINK SAYS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE (MU) OR ERROR (MF), THEN JUST WAIT (UP TO TWO DAYS) FOR IT TO FIX ITSELF BEFORE POSTING A COMMENT CLAIMING THAT IT'S "DELETED" OR “DEAD”
• WE DO NOT CREATE THE SUBTITLES, SO WE DON'T KNOW WHEN THE SUBS WILL BE RELEASED. IF YOU WANT TO KNOW THE STATUS OF THE SUBS, THEN YOU’LL HAVE TO ASK THE FANSUBS, JUST DON’T ASK US BECAUSE WE DON'T KNOW.
• IF YOU WANT TO SPEED UP THE RELEASE OF THE NEXT EPISODE, THEN PROVIDE A LINK TO THE MU RAW FILE.
• IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH VIEWING SUBS, OUT OF SYNC AUDIO/VIDEO, DEAD LINKS, CORRUPTED DOWNLOADS, STATUS OF ENCODES OR SUBTITLES, THEN